- This event has passed.
[Advanced Training Module] Introduction to Calorimetry
June 22 @ 1:00 pm - June 23 @ 12:00 pm
This module addresses doctoral students in chemistry, physics, biophysics, and related fields without much prior knowledge or experience in calorimetry. It introduces the basic theoretical and technical concepts necessary for an understanding of calorimetry in general and the application to polymer science in special.
INSTRUCTORS: Heiko Huth, Mario Beiner, Rene Androsch, Rui Zhang
DATES AND TIME: June 22 2022, 13:00 – 17:00, June 23 2022, 9:00 – 12:00
LOCATION: Seminar room Fraunhofer CSP, Otto-Eißfeldt-Straße 12
Each day of the two-day program starts with a series of lectures covering the theoretical knowledge by basic lectures and the discussion of applications and problems. It is followed by demonstrations of the different calorimeter devices.
- basic principles of calorimetry, modulated techniques, fast and ultrafast chip calorimetry, applications to nucleation, crystallization and glass transition
- technical aspects of calorimetry, typical measurement conditions and experimental setups, influence of sample and measurement conditions
LAB TOUR (depending on number of participants)
- DSC Measurement of typical polymer samples for determination of crystallization and glass transition parameter
- Demonstration of fast scanning calorimetry with typical applications to polymers
- Höhne, G., Hemminger, W. F., Flammersheim, H.-J.; Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (2003)
- Zhuravlev, E.; Schick, C.; Fast scanning power compensated differential scanning nano-calorimeter, TCA 505 1-2 (2010) 1-21
- Toda, A., Androsch, R., Schick, C.; Insights into polymer crystallization and melting from fast scanning chip calorimetry, Polymer 91 (2016) 239-263 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2016.03.038
Registration is closed by June 15th, 2022